Crepes: a quick and easy snack

This past Saturday I was looking for a quick and easy snack to my my big little man. Big little man is almost 2 years old. And let me tell you, he is ALWAYS hungry. I should start calling him Hungry, Hungry Hippo. But that might cause problems later in life......  Anyhow, when big little man doesn't get fed snacks, he gets HANGRY,.. The kind of hungry that becomes angry (hangry). You mom's of littles know what I'm talking about.  It begins with them looking around at every counter top in the house. Searching the floor for left behind cherrios. And then, maybe a little aimless wandering fussing under their breath. A pat or two on the fridge door. And then, all out screaming and crying. Unable to use what little words are in their vocabulary to communicate "I WANT FOOD".

So in order to avoid this scenario, I did some quick thinking. The other day I had been looking up some snacks that I could make with what ingredients I had in our fridge and cupboard. One of the things I found was crepes. So, crepes it was.

We whipped up a batch of crepes and spread some homemade strawberry jam on the inside. We then rolled them up and topped with a little whipped cream that we had left over from our pumpkin pie. When the whipped cream ran out, they were topped with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.

Let me tell you, not only did big little man love helping cook, but he loved how they tasted! And, for me, avoiding a hangry toddler was a major plus!

If you want to make your own crepes, this is the recipe we used:

Basic Crepes
1 c. flour
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. water
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp butter

Mix it all up, and pour a big spoonful into a warmed skillet. Cook like you would a pancake. They cook quick, so keep an eye on them!

When they are done, spread some jam on them, roll them up and sprinkle some powdered sugar on top. ENJOY!

Comments

Popular Posts