What is a "cheap" lunch?

Tomorrow is Classical Conversations.

For this homeschooling mom, that means two major(and uncommon) things have to happen in the morning.

1) We have to actually GET UP!!!! Our Classical Conversations meeting is at 9:15 in the morning. And it's 35 minutes away. That means that we have to be ready to leave by 8:35. SAY WHAT?! I mean, let's be real. Most mornings, I am still convincing my kids that they need to get dressed around that time. I know, all you public and private school moms are mocking me right now. But, its truth. And, it's a perk of homeschooling. Most days we just don't actually have to be presentable by a certain time, and I like that!  So, on CC days, we have to be extra careful so that we leave on time.

2) We have to pack a LUNCH! A lunch? What in the world! Lots of days we just eat leftovers or I come up with lunch on the spot. So, packing lunch for CC days is a big deal!

Well, this week I stocked up on a bunch of food that was at my "stock up" prices.  I didn't have much left by way of food in the fridge that is "lunch-happy". Nor did I have a bunch of food money left in my wallet. It left me wondering what kind of a cheap lunch could I get for the kids for tomorrow? Aha, said I! Lunchables! You know, the knock off kind that are only 99cents at the grocery store. I mean, for the 3 that actually need a lunch- that is only $3! Totally cheap. But then I started to think about it. $3. What else could I get that would only cost me $3? So, after a few minutes thinking, I decided to forgo the lunchables and get a different option.

For my $3 I got:
- a loaf of whole wheat bread
-3 apples
-3 string cheese

My grand total was $3.46. And not only do the kids get a much healthier lunch (pbj, apple slices, cheese)... but we are also left with extra bread to put towards another meal!

Sometimes when we think of "cheap" meals, we need to adjust our thinking. Every dollar item adds up, and it may not always be the best bang for our buck.

What are some items that you have found that are actually more expensive than they seem?

Comments

Popular Posts