"In This House... " sign knock off



I have been loving  this sign that I pinned on Pinterest. I love what it says and what it means. I have wanted it in my house. I have wanted the reminder that it brings on my walls.

Thus, I have thought about sanding down some wood and making one like it real nice. But who am I kidding, I don't really have the time for that right now in my life. At least not for a sign that I could do one of the four blank canvases I have hanging around.

Last night seemed as good a night as any to try out my DIY version.  So after the kiddos went to bed I grabbed a canvas, my unused plastic stencils and what little acrylic paints I still have lying around.  I had no drop cloth, who REALLY needs those?  If you didn't know, Darlin' accidentally dumped out a quart of white paint on our carpet DAYS after we closed on our house. Ha!  So, basically I'm a pro at getting paint out of carpet. I should start a service. Yeah, not really.

Anyways- I put in You've Got Mail and got to work. I pretty much winged it. No tutorial, no perfect results --- that's how I roll. I am relatively pleased with the outcome. I am probably going to be driven crazy by the crooked words..... But the Lord is working, releasing me from the need of perfection. So, maybe this will just be a reminder of that? =)



Lessons I learned-

  • Don't gob too much paint on the stencil.... they will run and you will no longer be able to tell what letter you just "stenciled"
  • Before you paint the words, make sure they are straight.
  • Use better stencils!!!

If you make one of your own, I hope for yours sake it turns out better than mine! 

Comments

Heidi Jo said…
I like it! Hey- the sign is about being real and grace and mistakes. I think it's perfect. :)
Heidi Jo said…
I like it! Hey- the sign is about being real and grace and mistakes. I think it's perfect!
Brigitte said…
Thanks! I really like what it says... And I'm glad I made it. Crooked or not. =)

Popular Posts